Those of you that know me will understand that I have a seriously unhealthy obsession with Italian cuisine. Pizza, pasta and cheese?! Yes please!
Whenever I’m asked “What shall we have for dinner?” my standard response will always be some form of pasta lol. I mean what’s not to like? It’s easy, quick and so tasty.
I’ve even nicknamed myself nonna Nicole after I spent a whole evening randomly after work making homemade gnocchi. It honestly took me about 4 hours but boy was it worth it. Look at my food highlights on Instagram if you want to see. Homemade pasta pending!
Now, onto the main event: pizza pasta. Here’s some before pics…
And here’s the after…
I must admit I didn’t think of this amazing idea myself. Like the feta pasta craze, I was inspired by Tik Tok. It was when I came across this video that I thought OK let’s give this a go and put a nonna Nicole spin on it.
Here’s the recipe if you wanted to give this pizza pasta a go and #discoverdifference for yourself.
x3 chopped mixed peppers
x1 chopped onion
x2 cloves of chopped garlic
x1 tin of chopped tomatoes
x2 tablespoons of tomato puree
x2 packs of pizza pepperoni
x1 pack of grated mozzarella
x1 pack of grated cheddar
x1 teaspoon salt
x1 teaspoon pepper
x1 teaspoon oregano
x1 teaspoon basil
x1 teaspoon smoked paprika
x1 chicken stock cube
x1 tablespoon olive oil
500 g Fusilli Pasta
1. Put a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and turn up to a medium heat.
2. Add the onion and sweat.
3. Get x1 & half packs of the pepperoni slices and chop them into quarters. Add the chopped pepperoni slices into to the pan with the onions.
4. Fry for another 2 minutes then add the peppers to the pan.
5. Fry until the peppers start to soften then add the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree.
6. Add the chopped garlic and season with the salt, pepper, oregano, basil and smoked paprika.
7. Turn down the heat and allow to simmer so the sauce thickens slightly.
8. Meanwhile boil some water in another pan with a pinch of salt and the chicken stock cube.
9. Once bubbling, add your pasta to the pan and cook according to the packet instructions.
10. Once your pasta has boiled, drain and get out a baking tray. Save a little of the pasta water.
11. Take your pan with the pepperoni, peppers and tomato sauce off the heat and add to the baking tray.
12. Layer with the mozzarella.
13. Add your drained pasta with a small cup of the pasta water and mix altogether.
14. Top with a layer of grated cheddar and the remaining pepperoni pizza slices.
15. Put in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 mins or until the pepperoni and cheddar starts to brown.
16. Serve with salad or garlic bread.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! It’s perfect for a quick meal after work or a great side dish for a dinner party. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you decide to make it @nicolealexia!